Is there a temp voucher in your future? While by no means a new feature, it is one that I use regularly. Let’s talk about using temporary voucher numbers in Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations!
As an entry is created in a journal, a voucher number is assigned according to the designated number sequence for that journal. Sometimes it is advantageous to use a temporary value when vouchering a transaction to avoid a collision in numbering formats.
Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations supports a configuration that generates a temporary voucher number that is updated at the time of posting with the designated number sequence. This setting may reduce the likelihood that the following error message is encountered: “Voucher XXX is already used as of date XXX.”
To take advantage of temp vouchers, follow these steps:
1. Navigate to General ledger/Ledger setup/General ledger parameters
2. Open the Number sequences tab
3. Locate the Reference section for Temporary voucher number
- Make sure that there is a number sequence assigned for this reference
- Validate that the assigned number sequence is large enough to support anticipated transaction volumes
4. Navigate to General ledger/Journal setup/Journal names
5. Locate the journal to be updated OR if creating a new journal
- In the Voucher number section, the setting for “Number allocation at posting” set to YES as shown in Figure 2.
Following our setup for Customer payment journal as an example:
Testing should indicate the voucher values as defined from series Gene_25 prior to posting the journal and the voucher values as defined from series AR_Pay after posting the journal.
As always, please test any changes to the configuration in an environment designated for testing before implementing in a live production environment.
If you have questions or need any assistance, please reach out to the team at Stoneridge Software.