Microsoft Dynamics 365 Business Central is available in two editions, Essentials, and Premium, and offers two types of users, Full Users, and Team Members. This blog is intended to help you determine which version and user types would be best for your organization.
Business Central Editions
Business Central Essentials includes the following functionality. This is not a complete list of the detailed functionality for each section; for a complete list please view the Business Central Functionality datasheet.
- Financial Management: General ledger, financial reporting, consolidations, inter-company, fixed assets and bank reconciliation.
- Supply Chain Management: Receivables, Invoicing, Payables, Purchasing, Inventory, and warehouse management.
- Project Management: Jobs and timesheets.
- Human Resources: Employees and expense management.
- Customer Relationship Management: Contact management, task management, Outlook integration, and mail logging, campaign management, and opportunity management.
Business Central Premium includes all the above and adds:
- Manufacturing: Production orders, bill of materials, supply planning, demand forecasting, capacity planning, production scheduling.
- Service Management: Service order management, service contract management, planning, and dispatching.
Business Central User Types
Business Central Full Users provide full read/write access to everything. They cost $70/month per user for Essentials and $100/month for Premium.
Business Central Team Members cost $8/month per user for both the Essentials and Premium versions. At a high level, they are the read-only type of user, but they can do quite a bit more. Team Members can:
- Read anything within Business Central.
- Update existing data and entries in Business Central – existing data are records like customer, vendor or item records which are already created, entries means entries on which it is specifically allowed from an accounting perspective to update specific information (e.g., the due date on customer ledger entries).
- Approve or reject tasks in all workflows assigned to a user.
- Create, edit and delete purchase and sales quotes.
- Create, edit and delete personal information.
- Enter a timesheet for jobs.
Here are a few more items worth knowing about Business Central licensing:
- Your external CPA gets a free login.
- You can create as many companies as you want.
- Licensing for PowerApps and Flow, so long as it is used in connection with Business Central, is included.
- PowerBI content packs are included.