One of the biggest changes Microsoft introduced with Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations is the new Visual Studio-based development experience and new all-in-one OneBox development environments. In addition to an Azure-hosted option, they also make it very easy to quickly stand up a local Dynamics 365 development instance by offering a downloadable virtual hard disk image.
If you have access to LCS, you can download and install a OneBox VM to run a Dynamics 365 for Finance and Operations development environment locally:
1. Log in to https://lcs.dynamics.com with your Microsoft account
2. Click on the “Shared asset library” tile:
3. Select the “Downloadable VHD” asset type, and find the files for the version you want to download. Here I selected version 7.3, update 12:
4. Once all of the parts have been downloaded, run the file ending in “.part01.exe” It will prompt you to select where to create the .vhd file:
5. After the extraction process completes, you will have a VHD file that you can host with Hyper-V:
6. If you are new to Hyper-V, you can find information on creating and configuring virtual machines here.