AX 2012 R2 Released
The much anticipated release of AX 2012 R2 has been announced.
Here are the new features that have my attention. I'll be sure to post some detail, as I explore these.
- MRP - Understanding Action messages. This is a very useful feature for anybody that has ever struggled to understand the logic behind action and futures messages generated by MRP. (which is basically everybody that has ever used it).
- Lean Manufacturing - Material consumption by activity. For multiple activity flows, you can now consume material at job start and/or job completion. Previously, material consumption occurred at the first activity.
- GLS layer (localizations) moved to SYS layer – For multinational organizations, this enables a single instance implementation, which is huge, for many reasons.
- Application logic/code moved to a separate database. For some reason, this one isn’t getting much ‘buzz’, but it’s a very big deal for any administrator. Managing multiple environments just got easier.
- Fixed financial dimension values – I haven’t seen this feature yet, but it was a ‘gap’ with the pre-R2 release, so I’m glad to see it.
- Many localizations – 41 countries
A few helpful links:
Release announcement from Microsoft
New, Changed, and Deprecated features for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 (Re-released with R2 features specifically identified)