The much anticipated release of AX 2012 R2 has been announced.
Here are the new features that have my attention. I’ll be sure to post some detail, as I explore these.
- MRP – Understanding Action messages. This is a very useful feature for anybody that has ever struggled to understand the logic behind action and futures messages generated by MRP. (which is basically everybody that has ever used it).
- Lean Manufacturing – Material consumption by activity. For multiple activity flows, you can now consume material at job start and/or job completion. Previously, material consumption occurred at the first activity.
- GLS layer (localizations) moved to SYS layer – For multinational organizations, this enables a single instance implementation, which is huge, for many reasons.
- Application logic/code moved to a separate database. For some reason, this one isn’t getting much ‘buzz’, but it’s a very big deal for any administrator. Managing multiple environments just got easier.
- Fixed financial dimension values – I haven’t seen this feature yet, but it was a ‘gap’ with the pre-R2 release, so I’m glad to see it.
- Many localizations – 41 countries
A few helpful links:
New, Changed, and Deprecated features for Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012 (Re-released with R2 features specifically identified)