DIXF / DIEF: Error occurred while saving the package
When using DIXF (Data import export framework) users may receive a general error “Error occurred while saving the package” for multiple reasons, such as not having Excel (or the Microsoft Access Database Engine) installed when linking to Excel files, incorrect data in the source file, the DIXF service not running, etc….
I’ve run into a recurring situation where this occurs after refreshing an AX environment (such as updating a Test environment with a copy of Production). Nothing else changed and DIXF was working fine prior to the environment refresh.
Solution to 'Error occurred while saving the package' :
I was able to resolve the above error with a manual workaround at this time which is to re-validate the shared working directory for DIXF within setup. The AOS and DIXF services were started as part of the environment refresh process.
- Navigate to the Data import/export framework parameters form
a. Data import export framework | Setup | Data import/export framework parameters
- Modify the Shared working directory
a. Add a letter z to the end of the path as we’re trying to make it fail temporarily
- Click Validate (it should error out as the path is now invalid)
a. See Figure 1 below
- Now remove that letter z and click Validate again.
- It should validate successfully now.
a. See Figure 2 below
- You can now try to preview your source file within DIXF again or proceed with your import.