Dynamics GP Maintenance: Preventing Disaster
Completing your Dynamics GP Maintenance processes is key to ensuring your records are accurate and protected.
Properly logging your finances, cash flow, sales, and inventory, in addition to consistently testing and checking your backups, goes a long way in creating accurate reports and keeping detailed records to celebrate areas of success and identify areas of improvement.
Dynamics GP Maintenance: Keeping Your Business in Order
The main maintenance points to complete are monthly, quarterly, and annual.
Dynamics GP Maintenance: Monthly
Monthly maintenance is key to giving you a picture of how your business is doing on a short-term basis. It has several main areas of importance, including:
- Completing your Bank Reconciliations – You can start this at any time. Sometimes it is easier to do a little bit every day rather than letting it pile up at the end of the month
- Posting Batches – Post your recurring transactions, in addition to other transactions you have. If you have outstanding transactions, you can rectify those in the Transactions Financial and Batches area
- Reconciling Transaction Maintenance – This includes Payables Management, Receivables Management, Inventory, Bank Reconciliations, and any other modules you want to include in your month-end report
- Output – Export your transactions into a spreadsheet to track them and ensure accuracy
- Posting Scheduled Payments – If you are using scheduled payments as part of your setup, you will want to do this at month-end. If not, you can ignore this step
- Aging – Do this if you plan on aging and moving your customers
- Finance Charges – If you are charging clients for overdue balances, make sure you run this and your customer statements
- Write-Off Documents – If you have a customer with a small debit or credit on their account you can write it off in either direction
- Paid Transaction Removal – Good to run monthly, but if you haven’t run it before you will want to run it six months back as an ending date
- Reconcile Remove Sales Document – This process pushes all completed sales to history and removes them. You will want to limit the number of people who have access to this process to those who know it very well
- Post Scheduled Payments – If you are using this, you will want to run it as part of your month-end
- If you are using scheduled Manufacturing, it is key to go into the routines section of the Manufacturing portion of your process. This updates everything within manufacturing routines for specific items
Dynamics 365 Maintenance: Quarterly & Annual Maintenance
It is important to reconcile the information you put into your GP records to ensure you have the most accurate numbers possible. This includes matching the numbers in your batches to what is shown in the batch window. You can match those numbers if you run Utilities and Reconcile.
You should also reconcile your customer information to ensure it is up to date. If you have a lot of customer data, this process may take several days.
Reconciling everything under the Utilities and Reconcile process can take a while depending on how much information you have. Also, it is not recommended for all customers to run this process depending on their status. If you are unsure whether you require this process, consult your Stoneridge Software GP Consultant.
Dynamics GP Maintenance: Year-End
Typically, your year-end process has a very specific order:
- Fixed Assets in GP
- Bank Rec
- GL (General Ledger)
If you are using GP Payroll, that step will fall somewhere between purchasing and bank rec but must be completed before your GL is closed. You can also run Check Links, which streamlines these into one process.
A Note on Backing Up Your Data
When using any type of software, it is always vital to have a good backup strategy that is tested and monitored regularly. This is extremely important in protecting and keeping copies of your data. Ensure you are always testing your on-site, off-site, and on-cloud backups whether you have internal or external IT support.
Please reach out to us if you have any questions about the proper maintenance you need to take in Dynamics GP. We also offer extensive backup services through our IT department.