From a pool of nine nominees and three finalists, Eric Newell, president of Stoneridge Software was presented with the 2016 Entrepreneur of the Year ChamberChoice award. The ChamberChoice awards are presented annually by the Fargo Moorhead West Fargo Chamber of Commerce in celebration of the achievements of the local business community. The ChamberChoice Awards honors organizations and individuals that make a significant impact, drive economic growth and help make this region a better place to work, live and do business.
“As an entrepreneur, you’re only as good as the people you work with. I really appreciate my founding partners and the people that joined me in the early days, who really gave me that chance to be an entrepreneur,” says Eric. “I’ve always wanted to run my own business, but you need those people in the beginning who are willing to take a chance on you.”
With a lifelong dream of entrepreneurship, Eric has spent a lot of time and energy delving into business best practices.
“I’ve spent a lot of time researching business plans, talking to other business owners about what they’ve done, looking at how to go to market, and making sure we’re able to express what makes us unique,” Eric says. “The biggest thing I’ve realized is that once you start running a business, a lot of your continued success is about changing and adapting, especially with the fast growth trajectory that we’ve had. You have to continuously evolve if you want to grow. What works when you’re four people, doesn’t work when you’re at 60 people.”
ChamberChoice nominations are reviewed by an independent panel of judges from the business community.
Criteria for the Chamber’s Entrepreneur of the Year award were:
- Individual who is a founder, owner, CEO or president of a business and is primarily responsible for the recent outstanding achievements and performances of the business.
- Been in business in the Fargo Moorhead West Fargo community for a minimum of three years (since January 1, 2013).
- An individual who demonstrates outstanding entrepreneurial success that has led to the creation of new wealth and job opportunities in our region.
- Must be a current member in good standing with The Chamber.
- Embodies an entrepreneurial success that has led to the creation of new wealth and job opportunities in our region.
- Demonstrate a commitment to ethical business practices.
- Demonstrate a commitment to employee support and development.
- Demonstrate corporate citizenship and/or community leadership.
Congratulations to all the Fargo, Moorhead, West Fargo area ChamberChoice Awards winners & nominees!