Problem With Custom Lookup in AX Using SysTableLookup

By Mark Nelson | January 14, 2015

One of the requirements for a customer feature I was developing asked for a custom lookup in AX that allowed the user to pick a released product.  However, the list of products was to be further reduced by a custom field value.  The lookup should have been simple, create a custom lookup using the fields from the InventTable's AutoReport field group and add a range to the query that limited the results by a custom field.

At first I tried the SysFieldGroupLookup class.  This class creates a lookup that contains all of the fields of a specified field group. This worked great, except it didn’t honor my range restriction.  Since I didn't really need to use SysFieldGroupLookup I decided to switch to SysTableLookup and manually add the necessary fields.  The result looked something like this:

Customizing Lookups

tTabIe, Itemld), true); defaultProductName)); add Lookup+i eld (field Num (InventTabIe, NameAIias)); addLookupMethod (tableMethodStr(InventTabIe, itemGroupId)); addLookup+ieId (fieldNum(InventTabIe, ItemType));

This worked great, except the defaultProductName display method wasn't returning a value.  The itemGroupId method worked so I knew I could at least execute a display method.  It must be something about this specific method so I changed to the defautProductDescription method from the same table.  Same result, no data.

After a bit of debugging I realized that the defaultProductName display method calls a static method on the EcoResProduct table.  The problem was that it passed the Product field as a parameter and it didn't have a value.  A quick check of the InventTable table revealed that there was in fact a value, it just wasn't visible here.  I decided to add the Product field to my lookup to see what value it contained within the context of my lookup.  To my surprise as soon as I displayed the lookup defaultProductName was now returning a value.

It appears that the SysTableLookup class is returning only used fields for performance reasons and therefore didn't retrieve the Product field.  Once I added this field everything worked fine.  I did try adding the field and related tables to the query, but that didn't seem to affect the fields retrieved for display purposes (which, I suppose it shouldn't).  I haven't yet debugged the SysFieldGroupLookup class to figure out why it doesn't honor my range.

Start the Conversation

It’s our mission to help clients win. We’d love to talk to you about the right business solutions to help you achieve your goals.

Subscribe To Our Blog

Sign up to get periodic updates on the latest posts.

Thank you for subscribing!

X