Get the Most Out of Dynamics GP While You Plan for the Future
Dynamics GP recently changed its fixed lifecycle to a modern lifecycle, thwarting myths that Microsoft is phasing out this system. The planned lifecycle of GP was extended to 2028 and beyond. With this change, full installations of new versions are no longer necessary, reducing downtime for upgrades and making customizations simpler. GP’s modern lifecycle is good news for users, many of which have invested in their system and plan to use it for the foreseeable future.
Get the Most Out of GP
Get the most out of your current system by upgrading and utilizing new functionality. GP updates its features each October. The following updates were released in October 2020 and are included in the latest version of GP.
- Two new fields in the General Ledger Transaction Entry Window add information or comments regarding transactions. These fields can be added to the general ledger setup.
- Credit card transaction importation.
- Automated reconciliation from oldest to newest year.
- Decimal separator configuration in Currency Setup to avoid issues when copy/pasting from excel. For example, currency separators are decimals for some languages and commas for others.
- 1099-MISC non-employee compensation form updated to 2020 tax regulations. Doing Business As (DBA) name field available on 1099 for vendors.
- Fully applied multi-currency documents removed from the PM Historical Aged Trial Balance.
- Export or import stock count data to Excel.
Human resources and payroll
- Social Security Number (SSN) mask on human resources reports.
- Check links may run outside of business hours.
- Multi-factor authentication is used for email authentication.
- Added support for TLS 1.2.
- Customizable home page layout.
- Named printers are used with word templates instead of the print dialog.
- Enable self-service user type access to user preference.
- Edit SmartList columns.
Top feature requests
- Print output screen automatically opens in full-screen mode.
- Copy and paste PM transactions and distributions from Excel.
Plan for the Future
With continued backing from Microsoft, current Dynamics GP users can continue to rely on GP for the foreseeable future. Stoneridge Software is committed to providing GP support, ensuring the system is running optimally and users are getting the most out of features and functionality.
While GP provides a solid foundation for your business, it’s also a good idea to start planning for the future.
- Is your server or other hardware nearing the end of life?
- Are there areas you’re still manually completing work that could be automated?
- Are your departments siloed?
- Do you lack visibility into your data?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it’s time to consider your options. Many Dynamics GP users have chosen to move their current system to the cloud, while others have migrated completely to Dynamics 365. Our team can help you evaluate your processes, needs, and goals to determine a recommendation for your business systems now and in the future.
No matter which Dynamics platform you’re utilizing, our team is dedicated to helping you succeed. We’ve compiled a library of resources to help you learn more about Dynamics GP, Dynamics 365, and the upgrade process. If you are interested in learning more about moving to the cloud, reach out to the experts hundreds of companies have trusted with their transition to a cloud-based solution.