Email Your Documents in Dynamics GP Part: Modifying Word Templates
In our previous post, How to Cut Costs, Not Trees we covered the basics of how to email your Report Writer documents from Microsoft Dynamics GP. This functionality is helpful if your accounting department wants to reduce its paper use to shrink costs and have less of an environmental impact.
In this post, we’ll show you how to modify the existing templates in Microsoft Word to make them look more professional to include colors, graphics, or different fonts for Sales Order Processing and Purchase Order Processing documents. This is especially helpful if your organization contains more than one company and you want to easily distinguish your reports from one another. Depending on the type of information that is pulled from Report Writer, you can also create multiple Word templates based on a single Report Writer report.
NOTE: Only Dynamics GP versions 2010R2 and later can email report writer reports. You must also be using Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010 (32-bit only). You will also need the Word Add-In installed which can be found on your Dynamics GP install disc (this must be installed on each machine that will be making the modifications).
To create and modify a Word template in Dynamics GP, perform the following steps:
- Select Reports > Template Maintenance
- Click on the Report Name
- Click on a report from the list or select More Reports and locate the report you need
- Click New and select From Existing Template
- Select the Template from the list
- Enter the New Template’s Name and click Create
- In Available Templates, select your newly-created template
- Click Modify (Microsoft Word will open with the loaded template)
- Make changes as needed
- Select File > Save As
- Note: if using Word 2010, verify that Maintain compatibility with previous versions of Word is selected. The template must be saved in 2007 .docx format.
- Save your template to an easy-to-find location
- Close Word to prevent an error in the following steps
- Click the green “+” sign to Add a template
- Locate your saved document and click Open
- Select Yes when prompted to replace the existing template
To assign a template in Dynamics GP, perform the following steps:
- From the Available Templates list, select your modified template
- Click Assign > Company. Select the appropriate companies and click Save.
- Click Assign > Customer or Vendor
- If Customer is chosen, click the green “+” sign and select the appropriate Customers by Customer ID or Customer Class (if necessary, extra customers or classes can be removed later)
- Click OK
- If you added customers or classes and need to remove them, select the checkbox to the left of the customer or class and click the red cross in order to delete
- Continue to add customers or classes as needed
- Once you have completed all of your selections, click Save
We hope you found this information helpful. If you require any assistance with modifying your documents using the Word Add-In in Dynamics GP, please contact Stoneridge Software to speak with one of our software consultants. We’re here to help!